One way of saving money is by reducing expenses at home such as the electricity, phone, and water bills. Start by monitoring your usage and then create a strategy to lessen your consumption and eventually save a few bucks.
How To Cut Electricity Bills To Half
With the advent of technology and industrial developments, the cost of electricity is soaring high. According to a study, the average number of home appliances is 10.6 for single households, 13.8 for 2-person households and 17.5 for households with 6 persons or more. The more gadgets and appliances you have, the higher the expected monthly electricity consumption. Thus, it is really important to take some ways to minimize your consumption. Don’t worry, we have here a few tips to cut down that bill.
- lights and other appliances that are not in use should be turned off
- it is cheaper to use the fluorescent lamps than incandescent bulbs. If you want to save more, then you can also go for LED bulbs
- use electric fans instead of air conditioners
- keep refrigerators closed
- never overload refrigerator and defrost it regularly
- use television set and other electrical appliances sparingly
- turn off appliances when leaving the house for work or school
Ways of Reducing Telephone Expenses
A voice from a loved one warms our heart. Phone bills will not lessen this warmth if you follow these ideas in cutting telephone expenses.
- Call long distance during Sundays or during nighttime since calls are cheaper and rates are usually lower on these times.
- Check bills if they are correct. Don’t pay for calls not made by you. Verify with the telephone company before paying.
- Make a list of important things to say before making a long distance call to avoid wasting time in idle talk.
- If you prefer the traditional one. You can always write letters to a loved one who is abroad instead of using a telephone. It is cheaper this way since stamps are cheaper than long distance phone calls.
- Make use of digital apps and social media platforms. You can easily have a video call with someone using messenger, viber or whatsapp and many more.
Ways of Cutting Down Water Bills
Just like electricity, water rates have gone up so fast that it is necessary to think of ways to reduce the water bills. Water is becoming a scarce commodity especially with the rapid population expansion. The water bill can be reduced by following the tips listed below.
- Replace worn out washers immediately when faucets leak.
- Never flush toilets unnecessarily.
- Use water in a pail instead of using a water hose when cleaning your cars.
- If possible, launder clothes once a week.
- After washing clothes, use the water that was used in washing clothes for flushing the toilets and cleaning the floor.
- Water from which the vegetables are cooked or soaked can be used for broth. Rice washings can also be used in cooking soups.
Won, A. N., & Hong, W. H. (2014). A Survey on Ownership of Home Appliances and Electric Energy Consumption Status According to the Number of Household Member. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 672–674, 2165–2168. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amm.672-674.21650